On Longing Exercise

 Sentence 1: "The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing."



This is a photo of stuffed animals that my boyfriend has given my throughout the year and a half we have been together. I chose this photo because we are long distance while I attend Flagler because he is back home in New York. Seeing these stuffed animals everyday makes me miss him. 


Sentence 2: "The souvenir exists as a sample of the now distant experience that only the object can evoke."



This is a photo of a polaroid that was taken the night I went to a party with all of my Starbucks work friends back home. The polaroid shows my boyfriend and I dressed up as Peter Pan and Wendy however, it represents a lot more memories with my friends that night. 


Sentence 3: The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature in which can be enveloped by the body."



This is a photo of a necklace that I was given. It represents the greatest time period of my life. 


Sentence 4: "Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss."



This is a photo of me with my two little sisters Kylee and Jordyn. I used this photo to represent this quote because I feel like my relationships with them lessen when I move down here every semester for college. 


Sentence 5: "The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated."



This is a photo I took two summers ago in Long Island, New York which is where I am from. I used this because I always miss home a lot and desire to go back often when I am away at school. 


Comments